Sunday, January 8, 2012

An Attack Ad in New Hampshire

Have a look at this TV advertisement attacking NH Representative Charlie Bass for his support of Paul Ryan's Medicare voucher program.

I'd never heard of Representative Bass until the ad came to my attention. The Wickipedia blurb about him suggests that on some issues (abortion rights, environment) he's relatively progressive for a Republican, though he follows party line on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act & voted for its repeal.

I have mixed feelings about the ad. I'd like to see Republicans lose their majority in the House. But although I think Paul Ryan's voucher plan is deeply flawed, I think it should be a discussable policy alternative.

The ad reinforces the widely held view of Medicare as a "third rail" of politics. And no matter where we are on the political spectrum, a healthy future - for Medicare and for the U.S. economy - requires opportunity to deal thoughtfully with the need to improve the program and constrain its costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment